APPLE(YARD) PROTEIN SMOOTHIE: SALAD GRINDS & BEAN PLANTS #48
Apple(yard) Protein Smoothie
WORDS: Johnny Lozano
Who can honestly say they don’t salivate at the thought of Appleyard footage? Skateboarding has its share of unforgettable styles, but you’d be hard pressed to find a skateboarder who doesn’t include Appleyard in a subjective list of their top 5 favorite styles. Maybe it’s that his style is not a limiting factor to his all-terrain shredding: when one considers some of the most stylish skaters of all time—Nate Jones, Kenny Reed, etc.—it’s telling that those tweaked out trademark tricks weren’t done down massive rails, hubbas, or gaps.
Not so with Appleyard. Whether it’s a flatground tre flip, some mini ramp madness, or a nollie flip 5050 down clipper, he oozes flow and control. Further, as demonstrated by his most recent Off the Grid and Run and Gun, age has not slowed him down one bit.
While we can’t all tweak kickflips over rails like Apples, we can at least aspire to match his longevity on the board. This week’s apple protein smoothie (modified from Fit Men Cook) aims to help with that achievable aspiration. I won’t try to swindle you with the awesome power of apples, but if you’re looking for a post-skating smoothie that packs the right ratio of good fats, quick carbs, and plant-based protein, this one is the Appleyard of smoothies. Not only will the quick carbs and protein have you echoing his eternal question, “which one’s bigger,” but the sensation of literally drinking an apple pie will quench your lost rebel soul.
How do you like them apples?
- 1 apple of your choice, sliced (I prefer jazz or gala)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 5 oz. (or a single serving cup) non-dairy vanilla yogurt
- ¼ cup oats
- 1 scoop/serving vanilla flavored protein powder (I used Trader Joe’s vanilla pea protein)
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- As with most smoothies, there is literally only one direction after you’ve sliced the apples: blend it. Keep the blender going for 30-45 seconds so you’re not chomping down on bigger pieces of apple skin. Drink it down after a sesh to recover so that “someday you [won’t] ache like [Courtney Love] aches.”
For more recipes, check out www.saladgrindsandbeanplants.com or find us on Instagram at @salad_grinds_and_bean_plants.